If you get on with people, would like to learn something new and give something back to the community, then being a school Governor may be for you…
Governors perform an important voluntary role within Education. Volunteering is a great way to contribute to your local community, meet new people and improve the lives of local children.
• Are you able to commit to a minimum of 3 meetings a year?
• Do you have an interest in education?
• Are you concerned about young people’s development and school experience?
☑ Many organisations allow time off from work to undertake Governance duties.
☑ In this current time most Governing Board meetings are held virtually.
☑ Becoming a Governor is a Personal Development opportunity.
Training is available to empower you to fulfil all the duties expected of a school Governor.
You will usually be a school Governor for four years.
The Governing Board
As part of the governing board, you are responsible for making sure the school provides good quality education. Together with the head teacher, you set the school aims and policies.
Every school has a governing board which normally includes:
• Parents – elected by other parents of children at the school.
• LA -citizens appointed by the council.
• Co-opted – members from the community.
• Foundation – appointed to voluntary schools to represent the church or trust which provides the school (if any).
• Staff -school staff and the headteacher.
What does the Governing Board do?
The Governing board:
• is accountable for the performance of the school.
• plans for the school’s future.
• selects the head teacher.
• makes decisions on the school’s budget and staffing.
• ensures the national curriculum is taught.
• decides how the school can encourage pupils’ spiritual, moral and cultural development.
• makes sure that the school provides for all its pupils, including those with additional needs.
No prior knowledge is required. SIPS Education provides an extensive Governor training service designed to address individual, local and national issues.
How to apply
If you would like to be a governor in Sandwell, or if you would like to find out more information, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org